Friday, March 25, 2016

My first Sewing Swap

I decided to try something new and do a Sewing Swap.  Its a Sewing group I found on Facebook where every month you can sign up and get paired with another sewing lover.  You both share the measurements of your little ones and then you sew something for them.  It was so much fun but really kind of tricky deciding what to make!  I know my kids and their quirky  likes and dislikes when it comes to clothes but I have know idea what these kids will like. So, fingers crossed they like their surprises, because I sure do.


So,  first is the little man's outfit.  I really like it a lot.  I of course started of with my go to raglan tee from Peek-a-Boo Patterns.  So basic yet effective and cute.


Then for the shorts, I tried out a new pattern for me.  This is the Hunter shorts from the Star Shorts bundle by Flosstyle Patterns.  I got the pattern for the skort option in it but I really like these Hunters too.  They're made with twill fabric so they'll hold up very nicely to play and wash.  I love twill!


I'm really happy with the cargo pocket feature on these.  It was pretty easy to do, but really adds a nice design element that takes them far beyond simple boring shorts.


And of course I had to add snaps.  The pattern didn't call for them but the flaps were...well...flapping and I just didn't like it so out came the snaps. And I think they add a really nice POP.


And for the little lady...  When in doubt...make a Larkin!  Its the same pattern I used Kallie's birthday dress, but with a very basic skirt. With out any ruffles it'll be more like a tunic and I figured that was perfect for a little 1 year old trying to get around and play.  Gotta love Create Kids Couture's Larkin!  This is the 3rd I've made in just over a month...


I did leave off the back sash/bow.  I didn't figure she really needed it and I was going more for fun and play instead to the full blown fancy dress.  I like it, keeps it easier for mom and that's ALWAYS good.


And you know me....I have to make little bloomers.  I can't have a diaper butt hanging out from under the top!

All in all, this was a lot of fun!  I'll definitely do it again, but maybe I'll wait until I have a slightly less busy month.  I really cut it close on this one.  The deadline to ship the items out was today and I finished sewing this afternoon and immediately ran to the post office.  I got them shipped out with 2 hours to spare....  WOW!

No comments:

Post a Comment